The Documents Needed For A Self-Employed Mortgage

Documents For Self-Employed Mortgages

Mortgages lenders are actively embracing people who work in the gig economy. Just look at the stats – in 2016, the number of mortgage loans taken out by self-employed workers increased by 11% whilst loans to employees grew by just 6%.

But that doesn’t mean lenders are making it easy for the self-employed to get a mortgage. So GIGLY always tried to level the scales wherever possible.

All lenders are required by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to verify your income when you want a mortgage, so it’s important to have the necessary documents to hand when you are applying. Read on to discover what documents you will need for a self employed mortgage.

1. Audited Accounts

Three years audited accounts is expected by many lenders, but some will accept two years.

If you haven’t been in business for long enough, the lender should accept a letter of confirmation from an accountant.

2. Tax Calculation Form SA302

If you have earnings from more than one source or you’re self-employed, you will need to provide a tax calculation form SA302, plus your Tax Year Overviews. These are documents from HMRC which confirm your taxable income for each tax year.

In addition, as a self-employed person you should also provide information to support the SA302 (such as bank statements) on your income.

If you use HMRC’s online services do your Self Assessment tax return, you can print:

  • a tax year overview for any year
  • a tax calculation (the SA302) for the last 3 years

Visit the Government’s Self Assessment webpage to find out how to do this.

Other Documents Required

You will also need 3 months personal bank statements, proof of deposit and two forms of identification.


Council of Mortgage Lenders 2017


Photo by Štefan Štefančík on Unsplash